Pennsylvania's State Flag is more of a square than a rectangle. It is composed of a blue field on which the State Coat of Arms is embroidered. Draft horses are on either side of the coat of arms and the American eagle rests on the top. The scroll at the bottom reads Virtue, Liberty and Independence.
The first state flag bearing the state coat of arms was authorized by the general assembly in 1799. An act of the generalassembly of June 13, 1907, standardized the flag and required that the blue field match the blue of "Old Glory".